Ar: Banu Ummayah.
The dynasty of caliphate that
ruled the Muslims from A.H. 41 (A.D. 661) to A.H. (132) (A.D. 750).
The rulers are descended from Mu`awiyah, a grandson of Ummayah, from
the Quraysh tribe. Mu`awiyah is a
grandson of Abu Sufyan, who one the death of al-Hasan, took possession
of the Caliphate. His capital is in Damascus. The caliphs of this
- Mu`awiyah, A.H. 41.
- Yazid (son of Mu`awiyah), A.H. 60
- Mu`awiyah, (son of Yazid) A.H. 64
- Marwan I (son of al-Hakam), A.H. 64
- Abdul Malik (son of Marwan), A.H. 65
- Al-Walid (son of Abdul Malik), A.H. 86
- Sulaiman (son of Abudl Malik), A.H. 96
- `Umar II (son of Abdul Aziz, son of Marwan), A.H. 99
- Yazid II (son of Abdul Malik), A.H. 101
- Hisham (son of Abdul Malik), A.H. 105
- Al-Walid II (son of Yazid), A.H. 125
- Yazid III (son of al-Walid), A.H., 126
- Ibrahim (son of Walid), A.H. 126
- Marwan II (son of Muhammad, son of Marwan), A.H. 127-132.